As promised on my 4th of July recipe post for my Carolina BBQ sauce, here is my simple and delicious shredded BBQ chicken in the Instant Pot 🔥
I love using my smoker, but sometimes it’s just easier to throw everything into an Instant Pot. I love that the BBQ flavor can be still be enjoyed without a grill.
All you need is my BBQ sauce, 3 other ingredients, and about 30 minutes of cook-time. My boyfriend was suspicious about a BBQ chicken that wasn’t actually grilled, but he ended up loving it!
Recipe makes 4-6 servings
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 full recipe of my Carolina Style BBQ sauce
- Pour the broth into the Instant Pot, followed by the chicken.
- Pour 1 cup of BBQ sauce onto the chicken, then sprinkle the diced onion on top. DO NOT STIR – leave the layers as they are to avoid a burn notice on your Instant Pot.
- Close the vent to “sealing” and set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 25 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete, allow it to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before carefully turning the vent to “venting” and releasing the rest of the steam.
- Remove the chicken and the onion pieces, place them into a bowl – I used a slotted spoon to get the onion out. Discard the liquid in the Instant Pot.
- Shred the chicken, then toss it in the rest of the BBQ sauce.
- That’s it! Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.