Can’t stop won’t stop making all the soups 😍
I’ve always loved a good tortilla soup, but never made one until now! It’s so full of flavor and yummy textures from the veggies to the gluten-free tortilla crisps on top
If you tolerate dairy, I definitely recommend the Greek yogurt and cheese on top too – the yogurt makes it so creamy 😋 leave them out and the recipe is dairy-free and still delicious!
I used my Instant Pot for the shredded chicken, then the soup – but I below explain how you can make this recipe if you don’t have a pressure cooker
Recipe makes 4 servings
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 6” tortillas
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced small
- 1 jalapeño, diced very small (seeded)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 cups chicken broth, red sodium
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cups corn, frozen or fresh
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Toppings: avocado, Monterey jack cheese, greek yogurt, cilantro
- Put the chicken and broth in your Instant Pot. Close the lid, set to sealing on high pressure for 12 minutes. When it’s done, release the pressure carefully, remove the chicken, shred it, and set it aside. Pour out the chicken broth remaining in the pot. – If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can just bake the chicken at 400F for 15-20 minutes (or until no longer pink inside), then shred.
- While the chicken cooks, slice your tortillas in half, then the other direction into ¼” strips. Lay them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray or lightly brush them with olive oil and bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.
- Turn your Instant Pot to sauté mode (you can also do this on the stove in a soup pot on medium-high heat) and add the ghee or olive oil. When it’s hot, add the onion and jalapeño. Sauté until caramelized, then add the garlic and continue to cook for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, lime juice, and spices. Bring to a simmer and let it cook for 5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and simmer another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, then stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Serve topped with avocado, cheese, greek yogurt, cilantro, and tortilla strips.