For the first time in years, my boyfriend and I tried what was one of our favorite candy bars growing up – the Reese’s Take 5 – honestly, we were super disappointed. It just tasted artificial and not very good at all!
With Halloween coming up, I was inspired to take the flavors of a Take 5 and make something even better with whole, natural ingredients
This bar has it all – pretzels, peanuts, chocolate, and an ooey gooey caramel filling… Its. So. GOOD! 😍
I used gluten-free pretzels and dairy-free chocolate. Feel free to replace the peanuts and PB with almonds and almond butter if you want too
You can also cut the bars into thirds to make the bites with a pretzel centered on each. Honestly, that’s what I did after taking this photo!
Try them out and let me know what you think – I guarantee you’ll love them ☺️
Give me some more inspiration… what’s a favorite candy bar that you’d like to make in a healthier way?? Comment below!
Recipe makes 10 bars or 30 bites – can vary on the size of the pretzels used
- 10oz semi sweet dairy-free chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 6 Tbsp maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup gluten-free pretzels, roughly chopped
- Whole gluten-free pretzels
- Optional: Fleur de sel
- Line a 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Place 5oz of the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and melt by microwaving on 50% power for 1:00 at a time, stirring after each minute until fully melted. Pour it into the lined dish and use a spoon to spread it evenly and smooth the top as much as possible. Refrigerate while you make the filling.
- For the filling, mix together the peanut butter, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla, and salt until combined. If your peanut butter is thick, you may want to add another tbsp or 2 of almond milk. The mixture should be sticky and thick (not runny) like a chewy caramel.
- When you get your consistency right, add the chopped peanuts and pretzels. Mix to combine.
- Remove the chocolate layer from the refrigerator and place the filling on top, using a spoon or your hands to spread it and press it flat & smooth. Set it aside on the counter.
- Melt the remaining 5oz of chocolate chips the same way you did before, then pour it on top of the filling layer and spread again until smooth.
- Press whole pretzels into the top of the chocolate in rows. If you want, sprinkle with some fleur de sel.
- Refrigerate for a little while to set, then cut into bars of or bites with 1 pretzel on each bite.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.